ENGLISH – WRITING A REVIEW – GCSE
Learning Objective: To understand what a review is, what they are used
for and how to create a successful one.
What is a Review? What are they used for?
1. A review is a written assessment of something, someone or an experience.
It is there to inform people, to advise them, to analyse something or
2. They can be written with a positive view in order to give praise, with a
negative perspective to criticise, or simply just offer an opinion and
balanced view of something for others to read.
3. A review should always give your opinion but also be as accurate as
possible. The purpose of a review is often to help other people so giving
accurate information is useful. For example if you are reviewing a product
such as a mobile phone accurate details allow other people who read your
review to understand it.
4. Here are some examples of things that typically get reviewed:
1. A book
2. A film
3. A CD
4. A holiday
5. A place you visited – museum, theme park
6. An experience – paintballing, swimming, flying, massage
7. A product you have bought/used – mobile phone, clothes,
shoes, toys, crafts, recipe book
8. A play