ENGLISH – WRITING TO PERSUADE – GCSE
Learning Objective: To understand what writing to persuade is and how
you can create a successful response to an exam
What is Writing to Persuade?
1. Writing to persuade involves you presenting your opinion on something
and persuading them to your point of view.
2. In the text you need to convince people to that your opinion is the correct
one. You should make it passionate, emotional and engaging.
3. Writing to persuade can deal with hard facts and figures but is more
about presenting a strong opinion. Unlike writing to argue a persuasive
argument does not need to be balanced.
4. Once you have chosen your stance on a topic you have to stick to it.
For example if you start of trying to persuade everyone how schools
should get rid of school uniform don’t start saying “well actually there
are positives to it”. You are not presenting a balanced view.
5. Writing to persuade is one-sided. You do not offer the other side of the