puctuations table of contents
Exclamations and exclamation marks
EXCLAMATIONS: short words that show strong emotions.. Exclamations show the reader that strong feelings of anger, excitement, fear etc are being expressed.
EXCLAMATION MARKS: are placed at the end of a sentence that needs to be exaggerated.
1. Decide whether the sentences below need an exclamation mark or a full stop
• Suddenly everyone screamed LOOK OUT
• Twenty pounds to be won today
• Fizzy drinks are bad for your teeth
• She closed the door with a loud bang
• I went to the doctors
2. Write an exclamation, based on the scenarios below.
Example: falling off a cliff = HELP!
• You have broken a glass
• You are drowning
• Someone has made a huge mess in your room
• You accidentally stab your finger with a pen.