Table of Contents
Week 1 | English Grammar
Week 2 | English Grammar
Week 3 | English Grammar
Week 4| English Grammar
Week 5| English Grammar
Week 6| English Grammar
Week 7| English Grammar
Week 8| English Grammar
Week 9| English Grammar
Week 10| English Grammar
Week 11| English Grammar
Week 12| English Grammar
Week 13| English Grammar
Worked/ Got/ Went Etc ( Past Simple)
- They jump on the trampoline every day. (= present simple)
- They jumped on the trampoline yesterday. (= past simple)
- When using the past simple, the spelling of the verb does not change whether you use I/we/you/they/he/she/it
- I jumped
- We jumped
- You jumped
- They jumped
- He jumped
- She jumped
- It jumped
For regular verbs to convert it from the present tense to the past tense you add -ed
- rain – rained
- work – worked
- stay – stayed
- shower – showered
- remember – remembered
- promise – promised
With some verbs, you cannot add -ed to make them past tense verbs. These verbs are known as irregular verbs.
The past simple of ‘to read’ is ‘read’ however it is pronounced as ‘red’ in the past simple.
I read a book every morning. (=present simple)
I read a book yesterday. (= past simple, read is pronounced as red)
Examples of past simple sentences:
- I woke up late yesterday.
- I forgot to wake up Toby for school.
- She caught the ball.
- He led us to the park.
- They vtrong>copied their homework.
- I studied really hard for my exams.
- You lost the tennis racket.
- They spelt the word wrong.
- The teacher taught me how to paint.
- My brother heard mum shouting at my sister.
- She got new shoes.
- It stank in the school toilets.
- it snowed yesterday
Worked/got/went etc Exercises:
1. Change the following regular verbs into past simple
- visit __________
- target __________
- treat __________
- pour __________
- jump __________
- rain __________
- snow __________
- walk _________
- wait _________
2. Change following irregular verbs into past simple
- stand _________
- feel _________
- try _________
- study _________
- ran _________
- stop _________
- admit _________
- catch _________
- threw _________
- hear _________
3. Create past simple sentences using the verb given.
- enjoy _____________________________________________________________
- wake _____________________________________________________________
- build _____________________________________________________________
- clean _____________________________________________________________
- drink _____________________________________________________________
- tell ______________________________________________________________
- watch ____________________________________________________________
- spell _____________________________________________________________
Challenge: Find the past simple for the following irregular verbs:
withdraw, understand, take, sting, spend, shoot, learn, feed, dig, arise